Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summary of art Gallery

This is a summary of the art gallery excursion. This summary is an assignment to be completed for Academic Listening Module. The presenter was Keith Potten at National Art Gallery .

The excursion began with introducing the artworks from the time when Captain Philip and a few artists arrived in Australia. The artists began to paint nature, trees, the bushs and animals. In 1830 and later artists painted nature and Aborigine people. The paintings of the impressionist artists present a unique style of painting, “ I paint what I see”. In early 20th century the artists introduced a modern style of paintings ,“ i paint what i think” . Finally some Aboriginal paintings were the end of the excursion. I will discuss three different paintings that I chose from the art gallery. One from Margaret Preston, the second is by Grace Cossington Smith and the last one is by Russell Drysdale.

This painting “self portrait 1930” is from the famous artist, Margaret Preston. As the camera was introduced in early 20th century, the artists established a new style of paintings,” I paint what I think”. This was some thing different from what others used to do. A style which was different from impressionists. Margaret Preston painted self portrait. Her delicate painting speaks for itself, it shows the reflection of light in background and the combination of bright and dark colours. This painting was done on oil and canvas. The self portrait à

From early 20th century until present Australia’s land escape remained a source of inspiration. The Sydney Harbour Bridge inspired many artists including Grace Cossington Smith . This artist painted the Curve of The Bridge which shows its industrial structure. It was a huge celebration of modern technology . This artist used a combination of light and dark colours, to show the structure of Harbour Bridge and its surroundings.
Sydney Harbour Bridge. à


This painting was done by another famous artist, Russell Drysdale . This painting is called “Sunday Evening 1941”. It shows real poverty, and lack of feelings. It shows sand and dry land, no garden, a dry tree and no water. The bowl next to the lady shows little water not even enough for the baby to have a bath. The people are painted very skinny which is another sign of being poor and not having enough food. As this painting show, this family may not have enough water for the rest of the week.
This painting is the Sunday Evening --->
I have discussed the painting of Margaret Preston, Grace Cossington Smith and Russell Drysdale

No comments:

Post a Comment